Tuesday 5 January 2010

silent walking



I have always been fascinated in the way our perceptions change, and what influences that change. Usually more days then not.... I walk around our local field as we have two dogs. Im quite lucky as my garden backs onto a field. I usually work walk the same route each day which takes about 30 mins. It became intriguing to see what changes each day. There are to schools very close to the field so you do get a lot of youth on it. I began to record various changes on my route each day. This contained the movement of object that had been dumped for example an old mattress and a broken lawn mower. The mattress was interesting to record as it left behind marks of dry, worn, bald patches of grass. So you able to trace its exact last place.



Iv also recorded all the different noises which I could hear when I was walking. I feel like there is almost never a silence because there is always something going on around us. 


I then developed this idea and compared the different noises I could hear in the city. I experimented by recording a 20 minute walk into Manchester using a Dictaphone.


I have come across Michel De Certeau, The practise of everyday life (walking in the city).
I did find this hard to read but managed to find some useful quotes.


"The act of walking is to the urban system what the speech act is to language or to the statements uttered".


"First, if it is true that a spatial order organozes an ensemble of possibilities (e.g by a place in which one can move) and interdictions (e.g. by a wall that prevents one from going further)      then the walker actualizes some of these possibilities. In that way, he makes them exist as well as emerge"


No comments:

Post a Comment